"And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd," (John 10:16).
Who are these "other sheep," the Lord mentions in this scripture? Could it be that some of the Lord's children resided in other lands, or "folds," during His ministry on earth? Could it be that he planned to visit them in His resurrected form as He did to His apostles? Furthermore, is it possible that the Lord inspired people in all lands to keep records of His dealings with men? If so, where are those records today?
Three years after Joseph Smith beheld a vision of God the Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ in answer to his supplication for truth, an angel of the Lord visited him and told him of an ancient record deposited nearby, which gave, "an account of the former inhabitants of this continent, and the source from whence they sprang. He also said that the fulness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior to the ancient inhabitants," (JS-H 1:33-34).
It then became Joseph's calling to translate this ancient record into our modern language. This record, now called the Book of Mormon, tells of a prophet and his family who left Jerusalem in B.C. 600. It tells of their journey to a new land, the divisions created between them because of pride, and ultimately the destruction of their people, spanning over 1000 years. The crowning moment occurs when the Savior visits these ancient inhabitants in His resurrected form, as He did in Jerusalem.
Much like the Bible, the Book of Mormon contains records that were kept by many people, and were then compiled and abridged by a prophet named Mormon around A.D. 400. This compilation was made on one set of plates, so that they could be brought forth in this generation for the benefit of all men.
The LDS church views the Book of Mormon as a companion to the Bible. In other words, the Book of Mormon complements the Bible and each shed light on each other. Their purpose is one and the same, which is "to show...what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord...And also to the convincing...that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself to all nations." (Book of Mormon, Title Page).
The work of translating was no easy task. Joseph Smith was forced to move from place to place amidst persecution because of what he had seen. However, "with little formal education, Joseph Smith dictated the translation in just a little over two months of actual working time and made very few corrections. The book stands today essentially as he translated it and has been the source of testimony for millions of people throughout the world," (Our Heritage, p9).
How could a boy in his young 20's, with little education, translate such an incredible book of scripture in such a short time? Could he have possibly fabricated such a work? Having read the Book of Mormon, the only clear explanation I see is that he truly did translate an ancient record through the inspiration of the Lord.
But my conclusion is not just a logical one.
More resounding and convincing than these physical evidences is the testimony you can receive through actually reading the book. The surest way to determine whether the words represent the word of the Lord, is to read it, ponder it, and pray about it earnestly. In the concluding pages of the Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni states, "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost, " (Moroni 10:4).
Understandably, this may sound like an unbelievable story to many of you. It may have sounded unbelievable to me if I had just heard it for the first time. But, I assure you that the truth of this book is not something that has just been indoctrinated in me. I have read its words, I have pondered its messages, and I have studied its doctrines. It has deepened my understanding of our Savior, Jesus Christ. It continues to help me find answers to life's questions. Furthermore, I have heeded Moroni's call at the end of the book, and the Lord has witnessed to me that it is true. I know that true and lasting joy comes by heeding its teachings.
I count the Book of Mormon as one of the greatest blessing the Lord has given me. When our family takes the time to read it, it brings peace in our home, brings answers to questions, and shows us the way to everlasting joy. When we cast aside the book and fail to read it, discontent and impatience soon prevail and we find ourselves distanced from the Lord. The more I read it, the more I begin to understand God's plan for me and the role He would have me play. Knowing that the Book of Mormon is true strengthens my knowledge that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that the teachings of the restoration are true. I am forever grateful to a loving Heavenly Father for providing such a wealth of knowledge that I can turn to and rely on.
****
If you are interested in receiving a free copy of the Book of Mormon click here to visit the official LDS website and request a copy. I believe it should be the true starting point for all seekers of truth.
Friday, January 30, 2009
A Companion to the Bible
posted at
10:40 AM
Labels:
Joseph Smith,
The Book of Mormon,
The Restoration